Self help guides
Here are some additional resources and links that may be helpful
Anxiety reduces our ability to think clearly. The first step tp good mental health is often finding ways to calm your mind. These may include breathing exercise, meditation and mindfulness.
1. Breathing. Sit upright in a confortable chair. Place one hand on your chest and the other on your stomach. As you breathe in, make sure that the lower hand (on your stomach) is the one that moves. This reduces shallow chest breathing which can trigger feelings of panic. Breathe in slowly through the nose and out through the mouth. Count these breaths up to 10, then back down to one. Aim for 5 minutes at first, then increase.
2. Apps such as Calm and Headspace offer more ideas for reducing anxiety.
Low mood can make it hard to take action as it feels like nothing will make a difference. Using this list of steps to good mental health can help you to get started.
1. Do something you are good at
2. Care for others
3. Keep in touch with friends / family
4. Talk to someone about your feelings
5. Keep active
6. Take a break
7. Eat well
8. Drink sensibly
9. Ask for help
10. Accept who you are
Books to read:
The following books are a good way to start to increase your self-awareness and understand what may be helpful for you.
Feel the fear and do it anyway - Susan Jeffers
The Road Less Travelled – M Scott Peck
How to Stop Worrying and Start Living – Dale Carnegie